Lee L. Swanström (USA-France)
Jie He (China)
Michio Hongo (Japan)
< back to the Program at a glance
Monday, September 4
8:00 – 10:00 am
Chair: George Triadafilopoulos (USA)
Discussant: Ines Gockel (Germany)
- East v. West: How is the global epidemiology of Barrett’s esophagus changing?
Address the trends in Barrett’s esophagus in East and West.
- Time for a break: Has esophageal adenocarcinoma reached its plateau? Shao Hua Xie (Sweden)
Address the trends in incidence and mortality of adenocarcinoma, juxtaposing it to squamous esophageal cancer in East and West.
- Politically incorrect: Targeted screening for Barrett’s esophagus?
Discuss the differences in prevalence of Barrett’s esophagus among men, women, race, age and ethnicity and to what degree targeted screening and surveillance make sense.
- Fat chances: What is the relationship between obesity and Barrett’s esophagus and adenocarcinoma?
If such relationship exists, address if we should we consider obesity management as prevention or treatment tools in Barrett’s esophagus.
- A simple scratch: Are we ready for cytosponge screening of the general population?
Address the strengths and weaknesses of cytosponge screening.
- Search for inconspicuous disease? The Endo CDx WATS biopsy.
- Active or passive? Should we intervene (and how) in non-dysplastic Barrett’s esophagus?
Salvatore Tolone (Italy)
Should we be more active in aggressively managing patients with non-dysplastic Barrett’s? Should we treat them with high dose PPIs, fundoplication, ablation or a combination?
- A new look: Is optical coherence tomography the new way to look at Barrett’s esophagus?
Address the strengths and weaknesses of OTC in Barrett’s esophagus management (pre and post ablation/EMR).
- Deep science: Which are the 3 most promising Barrett’s esophagus basic research developments of the past 2 years?
What are the most clinically relevant basic discoveries in Barrett’s esophagus.
- Avoiding the transition? What is our current molecular understanding of the evolution from GERD to Barrett’s esophagus? Horace Rhee (USA)
How does Barrett’s esophagus form in the context of GERD? How is it turned on? How we can abort this from happening?
- Bad molecules in action: What are the key molecular events leading from Barrett’s esophagus to adenocarcinoma? David Wang (USA)
What are the key molecular events involved in the conversion of metaplasia to neoplasia with promising clinical potential?
- The ring: Is the control of esophageal acid exposure in Barrett’s esophagus preferably accomplished through magnetic sphincter augmentation? Luigi Bonavina (Italy)
Juxtapose LINX and fundoplication or PPI therapy for patients with Barrett’s esophagus.
- Two birds with one stone: Bariatric surgery for GERD and Barrett’s esophagus? Dan Azagury (USA)
If obesity plays a role in both GERD and Barrett’s esophagus wouldn’t obesity management benefit?
- How many pills per day? How aggressive should PPI use be in patients with Barrett’s esophagus?
Carmelo Scarpignato (Italy)
Treat for symptoms only or titrate based on pH monitoring on therapy?
- Altering “mother” nature: What is the effect PPI use on the natural history of Barrett’s esophagus towards adenocarcinoma? Michael B. Ujiki (USA)
Do PPIs favor regression from dysplasia or cancer?
- Other drugs to the rescue: Is chemoprevention of Barrett’s esophagus ready for prime time?
Navtej S. Buttar (USA)
What are the potential chemoprevention modalities? Statins, ASA, PPIs, urso, others?
- Too much for too few: Is it time for specialized Barrett’s referral centers? Metric and expectations.
Given the increasing complexity of Barrett’s esophagus long-term management, should screening/surveillance and ablation/EMR be done at selected centers?